Friday, February 29, 2008

An early song

There was no sun this morning. A little wet, sloppy snow had fallen last night. Hungry birds were waiting at every feeder and swarmed on the food before I'd walked very far away. When I looked back at the ground feeder, the hungry deer was already licking up the corn. When I put some bread out, the hungry crows were calling to each other to come get it.
Then I heard a sweet singing from over my head. I looked up. In the gray morning light I couldn't see what sort of a bird this was. But when he sang, I knew right away. If you look at the picture and click here, you can see and hear what I saw and heard.
It's Song Sparrow, of course, being hopeful for Spring.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn Nasca, MS said...

S says - Awesome... very interesting

Jackie says - that was really neat to be able to hear the birdsong. Nice website resource

Jacob says - How did one of the packs of the birds scare away another pack of birds? Did they really? teee heeeee....

TemporaryLibrarian said...

Yes, Jacob, they really do chase away other birds - because they all back each other up just like a pack of bullies on a playground. The other birds that they pick on are not in a pack, they are just one at a time coming to eat, but the starlings come all together and just mob the food.