Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hummmmm

I got a fat envelope in the mail this week.
Inside were some wonderful letters and a newspaper article all about hummingbirds.

How did Sarah know that this is the time of year when we have lots and lots of hummingbirds in our yard?


We have three special feeders for them that I fill with sugar water.
Right now they seem very hungry!
The article says that they have to eat at least every 30 minutes when they are not sleeping.
And they eat twice their body weight every day.
But with all the flying around they do, they never gain weight.


If you look out the window at the feeder, you are sure to see one of the young hummingbirds. If you sit outside and watch them you will hear them too. It's their wings that humm - their voices are little chittery tweets.
If you take out the camera to get a picture, they move away fast.
So I have a LOT of pictures of places where a hummingbird was just a second ago.



I wait and wait and snap and snap and get lots of very blurry pictures.

I knew the wings would be blurry - they move something like 20 times a second.






Sometimes they sit on the rim of the feeder. Snap! Caught one looking up.





What about those beautiful hummingbird colors? The iridescent green, the sparkling ruby throat? The sun's on the other side of the feeder. I just get silhouettes. Guess I'll have to just keep trying to take the perfect picture of a hummingbird.
In the meantime I'll read all the interesting facts in the article Sarah sent.

No comments: